Thai Basil & Calamansi Vodka Gimlet

A toast to my late friend and mentor Roger Heckman, my awesomest of awesome husbands +Dean Robinson, the members of my food community ridiculous hungry, and all the wonderfully supportive peeps who help me to feel that what I do matters. :)


Cheers and thank you. I know it sounds cliché and corny, but I wouldn't be doing this without you.

Thai Basil & Calamansi Vodka Gimlet
Serves 2 and is easily doubled or tripled.

Calamansi (aka calamondin) is a citrus fruit commonly used in Filipino, among other, cuisines. And it tastes like the most delicious, extra tart combination of lemons, limes, Mandarins and white flowers. You probably won't find it in most grocery stores, but you might want to yelp to see if there's a Filipino market near you that has some in stock.


If you can't locate calamansi, you could use kumquat juice, or a mixture of fresh mostly lemon/lime juice with a bit of Mandarin juice and rind.

- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Thai Basil Syrup
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh squeezed calamansi juice
- 1 cup ice

- calamansi halves and fresh basil leaves for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake a few times. :P



I like my cocktails lighter on the sweet and heavier on the tart, so I do 1/4 cup syrup and 1/3 cup calamansi juice.

If you don't have a shaker, just combine everything in a high volume glass or pitcher and give it a few stirs. But you knew that already. I just didn't want to sound all Alton Brown gadgety-like on you. :)

Serve on the rocks and garnish with a calamansi half and a sprig of fresh basil.



Cheers and thanks again. <3

shinae

Comments

Google+

Popular Posts