Achievement

Note: This is an old post from an old blog, but I needed the reminder today. Thought I'd share in case anyone else needed it.

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty."

~ Maya Angelou


I am proud of consciously choosing inner abundance
rather than clinging to fear of inner scarcity.

I'm not proud of much in this life, and sometimes I think we humans are too proud of things in which we had no hand and over which we have no control. But if there's one thing of which I am unequivocally proud, it is my willingness in adulthood to unlearn some of the miseducation of my childhood - to embrace some very real, difficult, but incredibly valuable lessons, and also to recognize that they often come from the most unlikely teachers.

I am proud...

- that I choose to give the people who cross my path the benefit of doubt, even if it's too much, when I was raised to believe the worst about them,

- that I try my best, sometimes in spite of myself, to be positive, encouraging, and supportive to the women in my life when I was raised to believe we're all in competition with one another,

- that I have learned to give hugs, and big ones, freely and easily, even though I was raised in a culture in which they were uneasy, uncomfortable, and unwelcome, 

- that I am learning to acknowledge my self-consciousness, vanity, and envy enough to try not to let them get the better of me, and 

- that I have required myself to maintain enough self doubt to examine my actions and intentions, even if it means facing the ugliness that lies beneath them.

shinae

Comments

Google+

Popular Posts