Basic Seasoned Gochujang

A few weeks ago, I asked y'all what you'd like to see more of from me, and one of the many great suggestions that I plan to try to implement gradually and regularly over the coming months, is to spotlight some new (to you or me) ingredients and their uses. And since more video was also part of the input, I thought I'd introduce new ingredients by way of my new weekly vlog, and then share a recipe or two in the days to follow highlighting that recipe.


Basic Seasoned Gochujang

And since +Denise Morgan Kalicki, who's always up to giving me lots of support and great ideas, asked me to demonstrate the proper pronunciation of the word gochujang in one of my vlogs, I thought it would be a most excellent inaugural ingredient to spotlight.


Gochujang (pronounced GOHchooJAHNG) is a thick, fermented red chili paste made mainly of red chili powder, rice powder or flour, and sugar. It’s fairly salty, ever so slightly sweet, and now comes in varying degrees of heat intensity, from mild to very hot. But as a general rule, it is a chili pepper based condiment and is supposed to be at least somewhat hot to the palate.
There's a lot of talk about it overtaking Huy Fong Sriracha as the next big hot sauce thang. While I don't quite see it overthrowing that stuff on its own, I can definitely vouch that it makes for some delicious eats when combined with the right ingredients.

In Korean cuisine, we use it as a dipping sauce and as a seasoning in soups, stews, banchan, and marinades among other things, but it can certainly be adapted to other cuisines to bring a uniquely earthy chili flavor and fermented umami to all kinds of dishes.


The recipe I'm sharing with you today is just a basic dump and stir seasoned gochujang that is not only commonly served bibim bap (Korean mixed rice with meat and vegetables) but that makes a delicious lettuce wrap and raw veg dip (I specially love it with raw Persian or Kirby cucumbers and mild chilies) as well.

If you thin it down and add a touch of vinegar to it, it makes a delicious dressing for a Korean inspired cold noodle salad.


Basic Seasoned Gochujang
Makes about 2/3 cup

Time: 15 minutes

- 1/2 cup gochujang. If you don't have a Korean or general Asian market in your area, you can buy it online from H-Mart or koamart.
- 1 to 1.5 Tablespoons sugar, depending on how sweet you like your food
- 1.5 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (optional, but I like the extra umami it imparts to the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Dump all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl and stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.






Dip a finger in and give it a taste, and I think you'll suddenly find even more stuff for dipping or slathering. ;)

That vlog if you missed the link up top HERE.


shinae

Comments

Google+

Popular Posts