Animal Cruelty Is The Price We Pay For Cheap Meat

I am an unrepentant snout/beak to tail animal eater. I've given much thought to, and long reconciled my values and morals to being an omnivore. As a child, I often made trips to the slaughterhouse with my dad and watched a whole, healthy, humanely raised pig be shot between the eyes and broken down for my dad to take back to my parents' restaurant, and I am OK with that.

Our family has always made good use of the entire animal, and that is one of the ways we honor the gifts of nutrition and deliciousness afforded us by the animal that had to die so we could eat as well as we do.

But in the past few years, I have seen things about the reality of factory farmed animals that I can't unsee, that I can't ignore, and that I feel a moral obligation to try to change, in my own generally moderate fashion.

As a result, as our family income has gradually increased by small amounts, I have gradually committed more of our grocery budget, little by little, to purchasing more humanely produced animal products and by-products.

Right now, we've permanently moved from factory farm produced eggs and chicken to their more humanely produced counterparts. I plan to eventually make this change with all the animal protein I buy, but it's a gradual and continual evolution that also balances our family's other needs, wants and interests.

I don't judge or blame anyone for doing the best we can for our families with the budget we've got, and I fully understand that that often means getting the most affordable option there is.

But I absolutely believe in the power of critical mass, even in small individual efforts, to make good and powerful change in the landscape of just about anything.

I believe that if each of our households made just one sustainably and humanely produced choice in buying our protein when we go shopping, in lieu of a factory farmed option, this will change the accessibility and affordability of the latter for everyone.

And, just as importantly, make more conscionable methods of production more the norm than some of these truly cruel and horrific conditions in which the animals who give their life so we can eat are raised.


shinae

To read more about the issue, the Rolling Stone piece that inspired this post HERE.

Comments

Google+

Popular Posts