I came up with this recipe on a night that we were having roast chicken with Thai sweet chili sauce and I had these super tart green apples that I couldn't get the family to eat alone. (Or with cheese. Or peanut butter. Or anything.)
I went with a som tum (Thai green papaya salad) inspiration, and it was quite tasty with the roast chicken! It would also go great as a side to satay or as a fresh roll filling.
Thai Inspired Green Apple Slaw
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 3 small tart green apples, julienned (about 4.5 cups)
- 1/2 a small white onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 handful mint and cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe Thai chili, thinly sliced (or any kind of hot, fresh chili you have on hand)
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable-type oil
Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to thoroughly and evenly season.